Old New Dresser

Well over the past few weeks I have been working on a new project.  My son’s dresser that is new to him but is a hand me down from his TeeTee.  The dresser is a nice solid wood dresser that she had which was also given to her by her mother.  So I started first by deciding on what color to paint the dresser and we decided white but my son picked the color of Polar Bear White.  Next we picked the handles my son picked them of a nice electric blue which match very nicely with the Polar Bear White.

here are a few pictures of the dresser before the transformation from old to new.

Original Dresser

Original dresser from the front view. Lots of deep scratches.

This is a view of the dresser on the side.  Looks very nice but it does have some bad scratches.

This is a view of the dresser on the side. Looks very nice but it does have some bad scratches.

Here are the drawers before I start sanding them all down.  One or Two of them have large deep scratches from use over the years.

Here are the drawers before I start sanding them all down. One or Two of them have large deep scratches from use over the years.

After I got all the hardware removed I proceeded to stand the drawers down to make sure they had no more lacquer on the front of them so the new paint would take hold.  We left the inside of them the way it was because it has some really nice look with the old 1920’s newspaper bottoms.  It took me 2 weekends to sand it all down properly.  6 Drawers and the main part of the dresser each alone took a day to properly sand down.

Here is the first Drawer that is being sanded.  They had a large amount of Lacquer on them.

Here is the first Drawer that is being sanded. They had a large amount of Lacquer on them.

Almost done with the Drawer being sanded 5 more to go!

Almost done with the Drawer being sanded 5 more to go!

After the sanding of the drawers I moved on to the dresser but I do not have any pictures of that to post sorry.  After the dresser was finished had to go and drill two new holes for the handles.  This was a pain because the original holes are too far apart to use with the new handles.  I had to think of do I fill it in or would making two new holes based off using the current two work or not.  After looking what it would look like when it was completed it looked very nice with two handles and with the time it would take to fill in the holes and wait   Here are pictures of the results of using the 2 current Holes and drilling 2 new ones.

Here is what it looks like with the drawers in and handles on after being sanded.

Here is what it looks like with the drawers in and handles on after being sanded.

Here is the top of the Dresser.

Here is the top of the Dresser.

This is the other sided after being sanded.

This is the other sided after being sanded.

The Side is now sanded

The Side is now sanded

After all the sanding is done I painted the dresser and drawers with a primer coat then the color my son picked out which is Polar Bear White.  Here is how it all looks after it is all said and done.

Here is the top of the dresser it came out very nice also.

Here is the top of the dresser it came out very nice also.

Here is the side it came out looking very nice.

Here is the side it came out looking very nice.

Here is the completed Polar Bear White dresser.

Here is the completed Polar Bear White dresser.

All in all the dresser came out very nice and looks good with the handles and my son loves it!  Job well done and mission completed with this project! Time to look forward to the next one.  To complete the chairs I posted about earlier on my site.

Leave a Reply